Marriage…More than a Wedding
Your wedding is an exciting and joyful event, and one of the most significant and serious commitments of your life. It is important to remember that getting married is, first of all, a spiritual matter. God created marriage, so God’s Word is our best source for understanding this relationship (see What the Bible Says About Marriage). In light of that teaching, we recognize our responsibility to help prepare you not just for your wedding but also for your life afterward! We strive to equip you and your partner with a biblical foundation for marriage through pre-marital training and counsel, Christ-centered guidance for ceremony planning, and the resources and relationships to support you in married life.
Marriage…More than a Contract
We believe marriage is a covenant intended by God to form a lifelong relationship between a man and a woman. A covenant marriage relationship means that you will remain steadfast in unconditional love, reconciliation, and sexual purity, while purposefully growing in your relationship. Marriage is God’s idea–and we want to help you understand, embrace, and grow in your covenant relationship with Him.
What the Bible says about Marriage
The Bible is the best source for understanding God’s intentions for your marriage. We can see some of God’s basic principles for marriage by looking at the following passages:
- Genesis 2:18-24 Marriage is God’s idea.
- Genesis 24:58-60 Commitment is essential to a successful marriage.
- Song of Songs 4:9-10 Romance is important.
- Jeremiah 33:10-11 Marriage holds times of great joy.
- Malachi 2:14-15 Marriage creates the best environment for raising children.
- Matthew 5:32 Unfaithfulness breaks the bond of trust, the foundation of all relationships.
- Matthew 19:6 Marriage is permanent.
- Romans 7:2-3 Ideally, only death should dissolve marriage.
- Ephesians 5:21-33 Marriage is based on the principled practice of love, not feelings.
- Ephesians 5:23,32 Marriage is a living symbol of Christ and the church.
- Hebrews 13:4 Marriage is good and honorable.